The Middletown Springs Historical Society Properties
In 1971 the Society acquired the Adams House, built c.1800, from the Town and has restored most of the building for public use. It houses meeting rooms, museum exhibit and collection storage areas, an auditorium with a stage, a dining room and kitchen, and office space currently rented as the Town Office. The first floor of the building is now accessible, allowing everyone the opportunity to attend events and view current exhibits.
James Ives kept a store in the building soon after it was built c.1800. Later, after the Barretts lived there for many years, the Adams family ran a boarding hotel known as the Adams House, as well as a millinery shop and a funeral parlor. They built an addition containing a dining room, kitchen and boarding rooms upstairs, that doubled the size of the building.
Around 1920 the Town acquired the building and made it the Community House for Town Meeting, elections, school graduations, basketball games with other towns, and other uses. After the auditorium was closed in the 1960s by the State Fire Marshal for lack of fire code compliance, the Historical Society acquired the building and began ongoing restoration and renovation that continues to this day.
The Middletown Springs Historical Society was founded in 1969 to create the Mineral Springs Park on the site of the historic springs for which the town is famous. The park features an ornate pavilion where the historic springs flow from original marble foundations. The Elisha Leffingwell Tin Shop, a workshop annex to a tradesman’s home on East St., was moved to the park in 1991, where it awaits restoration. Interpretive signs, picnic tables, benches, and scenic paths at the park encourage community members and visitors to explore the historic and natural features of the site.
Mineral Springs Park
The Mineral Springs Park was created on land along the Poultney River and North Brook that had been part of the Montvert Hotel resort from 1870-1905. The parcel was jointly donated by Katherine Avery, who had inherited title to the land, and Theron Krouse, who spearheaded the effort to clear and develop the site.
The mineral springs had been found by early settlers to the area in the two decades before the town was created by an Act of the Vermont Legislature as Middletown in 1784. A flood in 1811 buried the springs with debris. Another flood in 1868 uncovered the springs, and curiosity about their possible medicinal properties led to local use and anecdotal claims of effectiveness in relieving various ailments. Horsepower machinery inventor and manufacturer A.W. Gray, who owned the land, decided to develop the springs and bottle the water for sale.
Perhaps encouraged by the success of other mineral springs resorts, like Saratoga Springs, Gray raised money among friends and business associates to build a resort hotel, the Montvert, that opened in 1871. Eventually it included on the 25-acre property a livery barn, a bowling alley, bath houses, tennis courts and a golf course.
The Middletown Springs Historical Society makes its home in the historic Adams House on the Green in Middletown Springs at 10 Park Avenue. The Historical Society presents several public events each year for educational and fundraising purposes. It also offers seasonal and ongoing exhibits. The Mineral Springs Park, located at 11 Burdock Avenue, is open to the public year-round.
Open Days & Hours
The museum at 10 Park Avenue is open on Sundays, 2-4 p.m., from Memorial Day through October, and by appointment. The Mineral Springs Park, located at 11 Burdock Avenue, is open to the public during daylight hours year-round.
Middletown Springs Historical Society
10 Park Avenue
PO Box 1121
Middletown Springs, VT 05757
To contact us, use the button below.
Rent Our Properties
The Middletown Springs Historical Society makes the accessible first floor of the building available for rental for meetings, workshops and other gatherings.
Rental fees are for one day, one occasion. Longer term rentals or reduced fees can be negotiated with the Trustees. Please make your facility rental inquiry through the button below.
- Dining Room (60 person capacity) – $35.00
- Kitchen & Dining Room – $60.00
- Mineral Springs Park – Please inquire through the button below
The Middletown Springs Historical Society is committed, to the best of our abilities and resources, to providing a website that is accessible to everyone We actively look for ways to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and work to adhere to as many of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards and guidelines as we can. If you have suggestions on how we might improve accessibility, or overall usability, please share your comments through the button below.
The Middletown Springs Historical Society is a non-profit educational organization, qualified as tax-exempt, under section 501(c) (3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
The MSHS Bylaws specify how the Society is organized and how it operates.
The MSHS Strategic Plan sets broad goals, specific strategies, and a framework for achieving these goals over a five-year period on such topics as: developing work plans and budgets; recruiting new Trustees; forming committees and task forces; reporting on progress of committees and the Board of Trustees; and communicating with the membership, grant funders, and other stakeholders.
The MSHS Collections Management Policy specifies the Board of Trustee’s authority and responsibility in managing the collection of historic artifacts owned by MSHS. It guides decisions by the Board and the Collections Management Committee in: acquiring objects for the collection; documenting and caring for items in the collection; interpretive use of the collection; granting and accepting items for loan; making the collection and Collection Management Policy accessible to the public; de-accessioning objects when appropriate; public disclosure; inventory control; and, risk management.
Board of Trustees:
- David Wright, President
- Pam Johnson, Vice President
- Pat Hemenway, Treasurer
- Beth Carmody, Secretary
- Kim Gaylord
- Madeleine Hayes
- Chris Hoyt
- Maureen McCormack
- Sharen Underwood
- Bud Krouse (Life Member)
- Jon Mathewson, Archivist
- Mary Lou Willits, Collections Manager